There’s something about spring being right around the corner that makes me start taking stock of my habits. Particularly in the kitchen.
I rummage through my cabinets and pantry to get an inventory of my existing staples together. I start pouring over any cookbooks that have been left somewhat abandoned over the past several months. I make a wish list of new foods that I want to try and recipes I want to test out. I start researching any vitamins and nutrients that may have been lacking, and come up with new ideas in order to get a bit of a boost as I move forward.
While all of this is great, there is one thing that I have been struggling with over the past year though. And that is letting too much good food go bad. Whether it’s because I overstock my fridge, or I run out of time and inspiration, throwing money in the garbage is not what I consider a good time. And what better place to start getting this in line than with my biweekly Boston Organics delivery box?
So starting with today’s delivery, I am making a commitment to promptly unpack my box of goods and then reach out to my friends here for some help. From recipe ideas to cooking tips, I will need some help with at least one ingredient and I am open to new ideas for most of the others. And of course, I will share my success — or experimentations, in some cases — as I work my way through each box.
This week’s box contained a little bit of the usual, a little bit of the unusual, and a little bit of the usual that I wish I could make a little bit more memorable.
- 3 apples
- 1 avocado — these always come in handy, particularly considering my obsession with this recipe
- 4 bananas
- 1 grapefruit — have you tried broiling a grapefruit with just a touch of honey? No? You’re missing out.
- 2 kiwis — these could easily get tossed in a salad or my morning yogurt, either way they won’t go to waste
- 3 oranges
- 2 lbs red potatoes — considering how close we are to St. Patrick’s Day, it may not be a bad idea to set these aside for another week or so
- 1 head of green leaf lettuce — I do believe a citrus salad or two may be on the menu soon
- 2 black radishes — I have absolutely no clue what I’m going to do with these, but I really don’t want them to wind up in the trash
- 1 package mung bean sprouts — although I am intrigued by the Vegan Bibimbap that Laura whipped up over at Sprint 2 the Table
The usual that I want to make memorable:
- 1 head of cauliflower — I would love to try my hand at a cauliflower and potato dal, but I have no idea of where to go for a reliable recipe. Can you help a girl out?
What would you make with any, or all, of the above? Please link to your favorite recipes or tips in the comments below!