A new Boston Organics box is here and I working up a whole new list of things to make with this week’s treats. Now that we have had a taste of that early spring weather, some of my favorite vegetables are making an earlier appearance than normal (*cough* kale *cough*) — no complaints here! But this got me thinking — instead of my usual half-and-half delivery, how about changing it up to a mix of 2/3 vegetables and 1/3 fruit?
That is one of my favorite parts about my delivery, as long as I make my delivery changes by noon the day before my delivery — the Boston Organics team will make it happen. This includes changing my veggie to fruit ratio and updating my “no list” — sorry, I still don’t eat peas or lima beans and even I have a limit as to how many potatoes and onions I can use in a two week period.
So while I didn’t get the kale I was keeping my fingers crossed for — I still ended up with a nice selection of vegetables to keep me cooking, and eating, light over the next couple of weeks.
- 1 bunch chard
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 package pea shoots — a first for me!
- 1 package white mushrooms
- 2 packages carrots
- 2 black radishes — so happy I can give Shulie’s Indian-Inspired Black Radish Salad another try!
- 1 rutabaga — hmmmmm, what’ll I do with this?
- 3 apples
- 3 bananas
- 3 blood oranges — so excited for these, I absolutely love them in salads and smoothies
- 2 kiwis
This was a great change of pace for me. Believe it or not, I was starting to feel overwhelmed by all of the fruit. I was starting to get worried my crisper drawer was going to launch a rebellion. All of this aside, my last box gave me a lot of snack options — including a personal favorite, celery stalks with peanut butter (and maybe some nutella) — and fresh fruit for smoothies. Not one bit went to waste, and I did get to try out some new recipes.
A couple of new dishes that I tried:
- Sautéed chard with garlic and lemon — this is a new favorite dinner side dish
- Braised dandelion greens with pancetta — pancetta, my favorite kind of bacon, makes everything better. So much that I can eat this in a bowl like ice cream.
What would you make with any, or all, of the treats I got in this week’s Boston Organics box? Please link to your favorite recipes or tips in the comments below!